Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend Update

It's been a challenging few days to say the least.  Steve's labs showed remarkable improvement after the embolization on Tuesday.  His WBC count went up as high as 5.2 on Thursday afternoon, then have declined each day.  Today he was at 2.1 (I think).  I have not spoken with any of the doctors about this, so I'm very confused as to whether the drop is from natural attrition (with lack of new cells being made), or if there is something causing the counts to drop.  No fever, no infection.  His swelling is much better in his feet, with very little evidence of the gout flare.

His hemoglobin is okay, hasn't taken blood every day.  The platelets are another story, and that is what has kept him in the hospital.  Still single digits, as low as 6.  His demeanor took an uptick Saturday afternoon after a shower and change of clothes.  His brother, Peter, visited him from Kentucky and Molly made a trip in from college in Madison.  Today he looked more like his old self, and he has had some small amounts of food both today and yesterday.  Tonight he sounded great on the phone and had ventured out of his room for a walk once around the halls.  I'm not sure the last time he walked...

He TOLD the doctors on Friday that he WILL go home tomorrow, Monday.  They are on board with him, and we will have to take some extraordinary measures to manage him at home until the reinfusion kicks in in a week or two.  

Now some bad personal, not medical news, then some great news.  

Steve was put on an "unpaid leave of absence" Thursday by his employer.  That's all I should say in this public forum, and please be aware people associated with that company may be reading this blog.  I will take the high road, and know that it happened for a reason.  We understand the business side of life and truly hope none of those people are ever in our shoes.

Now, the GREAT news!  Many of you "don't do Facebook," so bear with me.  Many charities and social causes have fan pages on Facebook and allow you to make contributions online.  There is a way for you, in honor of your birthday, to have your friends make donations to a favorite cause.  I thought I would give it a spin, why not?  The Be The Match Foundation is now my pet charity.  My goal is to raise $2000.  I am still stunned at the speed and depth of my friends generosity, we are within hundreds of my goal!!!  Monetary gifts have ranged from $10 to $500.  I would love to see this wonderful organization get much-needed funding and awareness in the community.  Thank you in advance.  You can also register to become a stem cell donor via mail, or you can find a drive being held in your area and register on-site.  Here is a link to my birthday wish.

Let's wish together that his labs go up overnight and he can come home and STAY home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment